Monday, March 13, 2017

If You Give Your Spouse a New Mattress...

My latest creation came about in a strange way. It makes me think of the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," by Laura Numeroff. One small thing leads to another...

Hubby and I are redesigning our bedroom to accommodate our new mattress. We are upgrading from a queen to a king size. We are so very excited! We have only had the one mattress for the entirety of our 17 year marriage. "Old Faithful" should have been put to pasture about say, 10 years ago. When the mattress was new, it was sooo comfy! But, like the mattress, our bodies aren't young anymore and we are really feeling it! (We could just be feeling those dang mattress springs.)

To make a king size bed fit in our bedroom, we have to rearrange the furniture. Which means replacing the furniture. Which means I get to add a wood plank wall to the decor. Which means I stained some wood to decide which colors I liked. And, because I am who I am, I changed my mind on which wood I wanted to use. Which, you may have guessed, means I had some beautifully stained pieces of wood that needed a new purpose. Which means I spent an hour staring at said wood trying to decide what to do with it.

Finally, this was born...


...an arrow picture frame. I used my miter saw and made some 45 degree angle cuts to make the frame and arrow point and tail. I have a love-hate relationship with my miter saw, so I have some fun hardware pieces to cover up the "hate." I used metal corner protectors on both the inside and outside corners. I also glued a clothespin on the frame to hang pictures from. I attached small hooks to hang the frame from the arrow.


Also, because it's more fun, I used clear chalkboard paint on the arrow. Now it can be customized to fit the picture or decor! I used a white chalk marker to write "love." I felt it needed more, so I added some "squiggly-doos." I also made a mistake, and instead of being patient and waiting for the ink to dry and wipe off, I added lots of dots. Shhh! Don't tell! That's the great thing about chalkboards--designs can be customized! I love how it turned out and I will be making many more to sell!


So, if you give your spouse a new mattress, she's going to make a fun arrow picture frame to go with it.

P.S. We are getting a Purple mattress. Click here if you want to know more.
(I was not compensated by Purple.)

No comments:

Post a Comment