Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Are You Being Served...?


Super simple serving trays. I have done serving trays before, but these are a little different. I made these from wood slices. Luckily, I didn't have to cut down the tree or make the slices. My uber talented sister-in-law gave me several tree slices that were left from her son's wedding a couple of years ago. (She is always ahead of the trends.)

These wood slices have a "live edge," meaning the natural edge of the wood is part of the design. Here are a couple of examples I love:

For my live edge serving trays, I sanded the flat part of the slice until it felt smooth enough. For the first one, I taped off the edge of the circle to make a border. Then I used chalkboard spray paint. When it was dry, I added some leather straps from an old belt. I attached the straps with screws to make handles.



The other one is basically the same, but I tried it without a border. I'm still not sure which one I like better.


In case you are wondering, I did not make the dessert on the above tray. I just happened to have it left over from our family's annual Easter dinner. And yes, it was as decadent as it looks!



No comments:

Post a Comment